1213 6th Street
Description: This structure is primarily T-shaped. The foundation is Lake Erie limestone. The superstructure is blue stone from the
Point Aux Barques quarries, and accented in buff amherst stone. The roofline is front gabled, and protected
by a gray slate roof. On the northeast
corner is a massive square tower, fourteen feet wide and sixty four feet
high. The transepts on north and south
side of the church are gabled. On the
southeast and northwest corners are one-story round bays with conical tower
roofs. Additions include the Holy Innocents
Chapel on the rear, built similar to the main structure, and the front gabled Goulden Memorial Chapel on the south side.
Construction Date: 1889 to 1891
Architect/Builder: Phillip Floeter & Co., Bay City
1838, Rev. Charles Reighly began serving as the
Episcopal army chaplain at Fort Gratiot. He was the first priest for the Grace
Episcopal congregation in town, which was organized in 1840. In 1841, a wood frame church was built at the
corner of Huron and Butler (Grand River) Streets. In 1854 a large wood frame church was built
on the corner of Wall and Sixth Streets.
The third, existing stone church was begun in 1889 and completed in
1891. The attached James Goulden Memorial Chapel, George Harvey architect, was begun
in 1909 and completed in 1911. The
attached Chapel of Holy Innocents, a children’s chapel, was built in 1977. The Grace Episcopal Church was added to the
State Register of Historic Sites in 1991.