Community Bible Fellowship

903 Court Street

 

Architecture:

    Style:                        Greek Revival

    Description:              This is a symmetrical Greek cross-plan shaped structure.  The low-pitched roof is cross gabled, and a Star of David emblem is in the front gable.  A large cornice wraps around the building under the eaves.  The walls are red brick.  The double front door is centered, and flanked by two massive Ionic Columns, slightly inset, which reach to the roofline.  Over the door is a half circle window, which is divided into square lights.  Tall, narrow windows, rounded at the top, are located at regular intervals around the building.  This structure was described in “Buildings of Michigan”, by Kathryn Bishop Eckert.

 

Significant Period:

    Construction Date:     1924

    Architect/Builder:       George Harvey

    Context:                    The Mt. Sinai society was organized in 1895 at the home of Leon Cohen on Butler Street.  The first business was purchase of a cemetery on Holland Avenue.  The original organizers included Jacob Jacobi, Cohen brothers, Louis Levine, Adolf Rubenstein, Higher brothers, Isadore Stone, Isaac Springer, Aaron Rose, Lipman Lenhoff, and Mr. Rizak.  Services were first held above Leon Cohen’s store on Butler Street, now called Grand River Avenue.  The congregation grew, and a synagogue at 903 Court Street was constructed for $40,000 in 1924.  A full time rabbi was employed in the beginning, but later came from Detroit on the weekends.  Rabbi Rosenzveig served the community for over 20 years.  Adolf Rubenstein served as president from 1902 to 1940.  The small congregation declined after the 1950s, and the synagogue was sold in 1993.