727 Wall Street
Description: This is a one-story wood frame structure with vinyl siding
and a contoured concrete block foundation.
An enclosed front gabled porch exhibits a ribbon of four windows with
Construction Date: before 1950
J. Hagadon Sr. paid taxes on this property by 1859
and lived here until 1902. Maynard J. of
Cleveland, Ohio was born 1842. He married Juliette
Dale of Port Huron. He was a bookkeeper, then a sewing machine
and organ agent. His business was
located on Military St. south of Pine, then later at 731
Wall. Children included Maynard Jr, Charles, George, Cora, and Mamie. Maynard Jr. was born April
21, 1869. He left school at fourteen to learn the harnessmaker’s trade with John McCormick, then to Grand
Trunk Railway as a messenger boy. He
progressed to head clerk, then was bookkeeper for Charles Smith, then secretary
for the Board of Trade. By 1889, he was
assistant manager of the Port Huron and Sarnia
Ferry Company, and private secretary to Hon. Henry McMorran,
Seventh District Of Michigan, congressman. Maynard Jr. went to Washington D.C. for three years. J. D. and Mary Flannery lived there from
about 1904 to 1906. He was conductor for
the City Electric Railway, then later proprietor of the Elite Café at 943 Military. Amos and Margaret Haskell lived there from
1909 to 1912. Angus Campbell, a
conductor for Grand Trunk Railway, and his wife Bertha lived there from 1915 to
1918. Charles Colclough,
manager of Bazley Cash Market on 632 Water, and his
wife Sophia lived there in the early 1920’s.
W. Edward Johnson, employee of Grand Trunk Railway, and his wife Ethel
lived there in the early 1930’s.
Margaret Reid, widow of George, lived there from 1933 until at least
1940. City assessor lists 1908 as the
built date. Sanborn Maps show same
structures in 1911 and 1950.