713 Wall Street

 

Architecture:

††† Style:††††††††††††††††††††††† Classical Revival

††† Description:††††††††††††† This is a two story-wood frame structure with wood clapboard siding and cement coated cut stone foundation.It is symmetrical with the exception of a one-story rear wing that extends slightly west of the main structure.The roofline is front-gabled with short returns.The small window in the gable is arched and has a keystone above.The front porch is to the left, and has a hipped roof with a front gable over the entrance.Porch decorative elements include paired square posts, dentil in the eaves, and a keystone above the entrance.Wood shutters flank the windows.

 

Significant Period:

††† Construction Date:†††† 1872

††† Architect/Builder:†††††† Stephen T. Probett and Son, builders

††† Context:††††††††††††††††††† A history of this house is a history of the Huner family.The Port Huron Time newspaper states in the Dec 12, 1872 edition that S. T. Probett & Son, builder of City Hall that year, also built a frame house for Martin Huner on Wall Street for $1500.The same newspaper listed new officers for the F. A. M. Pine Grove Lodge No.11, and Martin was elected treasurer.Martin was born September 5, 1839 in Germany.He emigrated to the United States in 1858 and came to Port Huron.In 1862 he was the proprietor of a meat market with Oscar Wilson, first located on Water Street then at 921 Military Street.They built it in 1871; theirs was the oldest business with a large trade.The 1870 Census lists his real estate value as $1000, her personal estate as $2000.He was elected City Treasurer, and member of the Board of Aldermen.He first married Anna Umlauf in 1866; their children were George, Anna, and James.She died in 1875.He married Louise P. Unger in 1876; their children were Julia and Oswald.Martin lived in the home fifty years until his death about 1922.His widow Louise Huner lived on there until about 1939.Anna Huner continued living there into the 1940ís.James worked in the meat market in his early years, Julia was a teacher at Polk and Tyler school, and Oswald was a salesman.