709 Wall Street

 

Architecture:

††† Style:††††††††††††††††††††††† Colonial Revival†††††††††††

††† Description:††††††††††††† This is a two-story wood frame structure with wood clapboard siding and a cut stone foundation.The roofline is cross-gabled, with side gables dominant.The gables extend slightly outward over small brackets, and the attic windows are recessed behind curved wood shingles.The front porch is to the right, has a flat roof, and wood supports and railing that are not original.It covers a cutaway bay and a leaded window near the entry.Above the porch is a hipped wall dormer.To the left of the porch is a massive two story semi-hexagonal bay with a flat roof.On the east is a one story semi-hexagonal bay enclosing an interior stairway.There is a one and a half story rear gabled, rear wing with a hipped wall dormer on the east.Other decorative elements include dentil at multiple locations and decorative woodwork on the front dormer.This structure is being restored.

 

Significant Period:

††† Construction Date:†††† 1897

††† Architect/Builder:†††††† Unknown

††† Context:††††††††††††††††††† The first residents were Charles Sturmer and his wife Ernestine (Hill) Sturmer, who lived there from 1897 to the 1940s.The house was given to them in 1897 as a wedding gift by father-in-law Peter Hill, who resided next door at 703 Wall.City Water Service was turned on March 19, 1897.Charles Sturmer and his brother Richard owned Sturmerís Hardware, which sold stoves, tinware, bicycles, and other household items.It was located first at 618 Water, then at 903 Military, then 911-13-15 Sturmer Building.Children included Carl, Frederick, Rose, and Ruth.The girls were teachers.Carl went into the hardware business with his father.