733 Union Street

 

Architecture:

††† Style:††††††††††††††††††††††† Folk House

††† Description:††††††††††††† This turn of the century house is a one and a half story wood frame structure with vinyl siding and a contoured concrete block foundation.It is front gabled, to the right of which is a narrow two-story addition with an almost flat roof.The front entry has a steep roof that slopes into the side yard, where it encloses an arched entry.To the rear is a one-story wing.

 

Significant Period:

††† Construction Date:†††† circa 1880ís

††† Architect/Builder:†††††† Unknown

††† Context:††††††††††††††††††† This home has had many residents.The first documented resident was Gordon Leech, a partner in Flumerfelt & Leech, in 1891 to at least 1893.George McDonald lived there in 1901.Mrs. Almira Cady, an attorney at suite 37-37 White Building, lived there from 1902 to 1907.In 1903 she began practice as an attorney in Port Huron.She married attorney John F. Wilson.Albert J. Lehmann, a supervisor for Mills-Elliot Manufacturing Col., resided with his wife from 1909 to 1912.Duncan McDougal, who worked for Port Huron S & P Co., lived there with his wife Clara in 1916.Frank Barney, a painter, lived there with his wife Jennie in 1918.Martha Jones, widow of Theodore, resided from 1919 to 1921.Early R. MacCune, manager of the American Theatre, lived there with his wife Ada in 1922.Clifford and Loretha Marshall resided in 1923.John Michener, who worked at Grand Trunk railway shops, lived there with his wife Hannah in 1924.The house was divided into 733 and 733-1/2 by 1926.