729 Union Street

 

Architecture:

    Style:                        Queen Anne

    Description:              This is a two-story wood frame structure with wood clapboard siding on the first two stories, wood shingle siding in the gables, and a cut stone foundation.  The roof line if primarily front gabled, with a second lower front gable extending slightly forward of the first.  The side gable and second story under it on the west cantilever slightly outward over brackets and the first story.  Each gable has a tall narrow window recessed behind curved wood shingles.  On the east is a semi-hexagonal two-story bay with a curved hipped roof.  A pair of doors marks the front entry.  There is a small porch with a front gable where once a full width front porch existed.  Other decorative details include a pattern in the peak of the main gable, and brackets under a pair of second story windows on the front.

 

Significant Period:

    Construction Date:     1890

    Architect/Builder:       Unknown

    Context:                    Justin L. Paldi lived on this site from 1885 to 1888.  He was a civil engineer and architect, and in 1895 the County Surveyor.  His father Angelo Paldi was the architect and superintendent of the Detroit Water Works.  The December 4, 1890 edition of the Port Huron Weekly Times has an article regarding city growth, and noted that one of the new residences built that year was for Dr. J. Herr.  City Water Service was turned on May 26, 1890.  Dentists John Herr and Abraham Herr moved here in 1890 from 723 Union to 729 Union.  John Herr, who became president of Huron Machine Works, lived there until 1904.  Abraham was gone by 1899.  Albert and Susie Stevenson lived there in 1906 and 1907.  He was Assistant General Manager of the Order of Foresters, Editor of “The Forestor”, secretary treasurer of Sentenial Printing Co, and vice president of the German American Savings Bank.  Chester Benedict, Police Justice, and his wife Mabel lived there in 1909.  The Charles and Laura Farr family lived there from 1910 to 1918.  He was secretary treasurer of Beard, Cambell, and Co.  The James G. and Elizabeth M. Bryant family lived there the longest, from 1920 until at least 1940.  He was proprietor of Bryant Engineering, manufacturers of feed grinding machinery.