723 Union Street

 

Architecture:

††† Style:††††††††††††††††††††††† Folk Victorian Style††††††

††† Description:††††††††††††† This is a one-story wood frame structure with vinyl siding and a cut stone foundation.The low pitch roofline is front gabled.A rear wing extends east with a small side porch.Decorative elements include vergeboard in the gable, and the original full width front porch with turned posts and spindlework frieze overhead.

 

Significant Period:

††† Construction Date:†††† circa 1878

††† Architect/Builder:†††††† Unknown

††† Context:††††††††††††††††††† Many people lived in this house over the years.City Water Service was turned on 4/16/78.The first documented residents were John and Abraham Herr from 1887 to 1890, until they built next door at 729.They were dentists located first at 234 Huron Avenue, then 229 Huron Avenue in the Knill Block.Ursula King lived there in the early 1890ís.Henry Herr lived there from the late 1890ís to 1902. He was manager of the American Egg Case Co, then treasurer and manager of the Huron Machine Works.Mary (Shepherd) Johnston, widow of William who was a merchant tailor, lived there from 1902 to 1910.James Bryant, manager of Bryant Engineering Company, and his wife Elizabeth lived there from 1912 to 1915.Thomas Dunn, employed by Port Huron Creamery Co., and his wife Elsie lived there in 1916.Arthur Clark, a laborer, and his wife Violet lived there in 1918.Charles Brenner, Proprietor of B & B Garage, and his wife Frances M. lived there in 1921.The Edwards family lived there next.Edward Edwards, employed by Grand Trunk railway shops, lived there from 1922 until his death about 1927, while his widow continued to live there until 1931.Winnie Glenn, widow of Owen, lived there in 1933.Zella Marlin lived there in 1936.Mack Lozen, employed by Port Huron S & P. Company, lived there with his wife Garland in 1938.