711 Union Street

 

Architecture:

††† Style:††††††††††††††††††††††† Folk House

††† Description:††††††††††††† This house is a two-story wood frame structure with vinyl siding and a cut stone foundation.The floor plan is cross shaped, the roofline is cross gabled, and the gables are enclosed by pent roofs.The front wing is centered, and surrounded on three sides by a wraparound porch.The porch has turned posts and wood spindles.A rear wing has only one story.

 

Significant Period:

††† Construction Date:†††† circa 1880

††† Architect/Builder:†††††† Unknown

††† Context:††††††††††††††††††† City Water Service was turned on 6/7/1880.The first documented resident was George Ashpole in the late 1880ís.He was the City Editor of the Port Huron Times.The Daniel McNutt family lived there from the early 1890ís to 1904.He was born December 26, 1851 in Clyde, Michigan.In 1876 he worked at S. Goodman, a clothing store.Five years later he and his brother H. H. were co-owners of McNutt Brothers, grocers at 930 Military.Daniel married Maria L. Hitchings in 1879; their daughter was Lela Irene.Charles Little, who worked for Port Huron Engine and Thresher Company, lived there with his wife Jessie in 1906.Charles Rowley, commercial traveler, and his wife Minnie lived there from 1907 to 1912.Dr. Alex MacKenzie and his wife Anna lived there ten years from 1912 to 1922.Charles Carr, a buyer for Higerís, lived there with his wife Blossom for ten years from 1923 to 1933.David Fitzgibbon, an attorney, lived there with his wife Mary in 1936.Ralph Swan, employed at the Times Herald, and his wife Virginia lived there in late 1930ís.