511-515 Union Street

 

Architecture:

    Style:                        Modified Prairie Four Square Style        

    Description:              A two-story wood frame structure with vinyl siding on the first story, wood shingle on the second, and a beveled concrete block foundation.  It is wider than deeper and has a hipped roofline with hipped dormers on the west and east sides.  The front center of the building extends slightly forward, which is also reflected in the roofline.  There is a full width front porch with a hipped roof, Doric columns and railing, and stairs at each end.

 

Significant Period:

    Construction Date:     circa 1917

    Architect/Builder:       Unknown

    Context:                    511 Union: The first known residents were John Ricketts, a conductor for Grand Trunk Railway, and his wife Mary in the 1918 City Directory.  David McArron, U.S. inspector of hulls and boilers, lived there with his wife Cornelia from 1919 to 1926.  Peter Larson, U.S. inspector of hulls, and his wife Anne lived there in 1930.  Dr. William Morden, a dentist, lived there with his wife Eleanor in 1931.  Stewart Kipp, employee for A. Falk, lived there with his wife Geneva in 1933.  Carmon Graziadei, employed by Chrysler Corp, lived there with his wife Marjorie from the mid to late 1930s.

                                    515 Union: The first known residents were Harry and Minnie Goseline in 1918.  Charles Fitzpatrick, clerk then general manager for J. A. Davidson Co., and his wife Minnie lived there from about 1920 to about 1933.  Robert Marks, an engineer for Morton Salt Co., and his wife Nina lived there from the mid 1930s to at least 1940.