Style: Colonial Revival
Description: This intriguing, two-story turn of the century
structure was built for commercial purposes.
It is a two-story wood frame building largely covered with aluminum siding,
some cement shingle, and wood shingle in the gables. On the northwest corner of the first floor,
wood sheeting and small windows fill between concrete columns where large glass
windows likely once existed. The roof is
cross-gabled. The north gable facing
Construction Date: circa 1908
address first appears in the 1909 City Directory, and the 1911 Sanborn
Insurance Map shows a much different structure than the one that existed in
1903. This building was originally
designed as a grocery store with living quarters on the second floor. William Bauer, who lived next door at 740
Pine, managed the store until 1920.
Norman Hyde, who lived above the store, managed the store for two
years. The store was known as Smith
Brothers #8 by 1923, until at least 1940.
Residents at 742 ½ Pine included Andrew and Lily MacDonald in 1923,
Wellington Belyea in 1930, and Jacob and Margaret Borkowski in 1931.
The rental housing building is no longer a grocery. It has acquired an additional address,