Style: Prairie Four Square Style
Description: This is a two-story wood frame structure with wood clapboard siding and a contoured concrete block foundation. The low pitch hipped roof has a cross gable facing west. A gable dormer on the front contains a window surrounded by colored panes. The full width front porch has a shed roof with a front gable, and modern wrought iron supports and railing. The large window to the left of the front door has a detailed art glass transom. A shallow semi-hexagonal bay on the second story faces the street. A one-story semi-hexagonal bay on the rear has a detailed art glass transom.
Construction Date: circa 1908
Context: The current house at 740 Pine replaced an earlier structure, and first appeared on the 1911 Sanborn Insurance Map. The address was listed as vacant in the 1907 City Directory, suggesting that the current home was built shortly after that. The first residents were William and Flora Bauer, who lived there from 1909 to 1921, after which they moved to 941 Howard. William worked at the grocery next door at 742 Pine. Joseph Brennan, assistant manager at the Brennan Furniture Company, and his wife Eleanore lived there in 1922. Peter and Arato Williams lived in the home from 1923 to 1930. Peter was the proprietor of the Central Shoe Shine Store. In 1924 the house was subdivided, 740 ½ being occupied by their children, Thomas, Nick, and Peter Williams Jr. Flora Bauer, the first resident, returned to live in the home from 1931 to 1936. Leroy Kepler, engineer for Yeager B & C, and his wife Isabell lived there in 1938. By 1940, at least six adults lived in the home.