946 Court Street
Description: This is a one and a half story wood frame structure
with aluminum siding and a contoured concrete block foundation. A small wall dormer is located on the
west. There is a wraparound porch with
paired square posts on brick pillars, and a gable over the stairs. A one-story rear wing is connected to 1208 10th
Street, a small commercial building.
Construction Date: circa 1893
house appeared on the 1903 Sanborn Insurance Map. Thomas Adams, a jeweler, and wife Mary, both
from Canada, resided there in 1894,
according to the Michigan Census. Dr. A.
Henri Cote lived there from 1899 to 1906.
He was a physician and surgeon at 229 then 231 Huron Avenue. James and Sarah Addison lived there in
1907. He was a brakeman for Pere Marquette Railway.
The dwelling was vacant in 1909.
Charles and Sarah McKinnon lived there from 1910 to 1913. He worked for the city public works. Floyd Cooley, a letter carrier, lived there
with his wife Bertha in 1915. Charles Maines, deputy sheriff, and his wife Ruth lived there in
1918. William Pletcher,
who worked at Pere Marquette Railway,
and his wife Catherine lived there in 1920.
Sherman Hoskins, a salesman for H H Rawlings
and his wife Lydia lived there in 1921. James and Martha Meigs
lived there from 1923 to the mid-1930s.
He was a grocer at 1208 Tenth Street (the building on 10th
Street attached to the home), then proprietor of Thumb Insurance and Real