936 Court Street
Description: This is a richly detailed, two story wood frame with
wood clapboard siding and a cut stone foundation. The roofline is hipped with cross gables on
all four sides. A polygonal tower rises
over a two story porch and main entrance on the right. The front gable has a
square window in a round opening, flanked by square cutaway bays on the corners
with railing. A one story semi-hexagonal
bay is under the west gable, while on the east is a small side porch. A prominent shingle belt encircles the house
between the first and second stories. A
deck area to the west of the main porch is not historic.
Construction Date: circa 1893
home appeared on the 1903 Sanborn Insurance Map. Frederick and Martha Symons (born in England and Canada) lived there in 1894,
according to the Michigan State Census.
He was a railroad freight inspector.
John Murray lived there 1899 to at least 1904. He was born May
in St. Mary’s, Ontario; taught school at Tilsonburg, then came to Michigan. In 1882 he was an editor of the Sunday Commercial; in 1886, he and J. Bartle Parker began the Sunday
Herald, then Parker retired. W.A. Mustard was also a
partner for a short time. They sold to Ottaway & Weil in 1900 who
then merged it into the Daily Herald.
From April 1,
to April 1, 1899 Murray was Postmaster of Port
Huron. Mr. Murray bought back Mr. Ottaway’s share of the Daily
Herald in July, 1901 and was
editor-in-chief until his death on May 23,
1907. Harry R. Warden resided here in 1906. Dr. Mason Vroman
and his wife Birdie lived there from 1907 to 1909. He was a physician, surgeon, and eye, ear,
nose, and throat specialist at suite 309-10-11 Meisel
Block. Bruno and Louise Schuster resided
here 1910 to 1912. He was a physician
and surgeon, and medical examiner for the Immigrant Department. Martin Eggan lived
there from 1913 to 1915.