930 Court Street

 

Architecture:

††† Style:††††††††††††††††††††††† Queen Anne

††† Description:This turn of the century house is a two story wood frame structure with aluminum siding and a cut stone foundation.It has a hipped roof with lower gables on all four sides.The west and south gables actually extend over wings.A small front porch has modern metal awning and railing.The first story window under the front gable has colored glass.

 

Significant Period:

††† Construction Date:†††† circa 1888

††† Architect/Builder:†††††† Unknown

††† Context:††††††††††††††††††† This house appears on the 1903 Sanborn Insurance Map.Property tax records in the 1870ís and 1880ís indicated the property had no building until after 1887.City Water Department records show water service began in October 1887.The first documented resident was Pultney M. Wright from 1888 to the mid-1890ís.He was born in England on May 6, 1831; the family soon moved to Michigan and the St. Clair River.As an adult, he first worked in milling in Canada, then for John Millerís bank as a bookkeeper; later for First National Bank,A. N. Moffat & Co., steamboat and vessel agents, and Wright & Eldridge, coal dealers. He served as City Treasurer and was a member of the School Board.He married Clara St. Clair Monson in 1854; their children were Mary E., John M., and William K.T.†† His wife died in 1882.His son John lived here with him, as well as Ellen Leslie, a housekeeper.Wilbert Beach, court stenographer in the 24th Judicial District, lived there in 1899 as well as domestic Margaret Taylor.Wesley and Sarah Phelps lived there next, from 1901 to 1907.He was the city civil engineer.Walter and Kate Wollaston lived there next until about 1915.He was a professor at the Port Huron Business University.John and Florence Howard lived there in 1918.He was proprietor of Howard Furniture Company.J. Frank Wilson and his wife Almira B. lived there from 1920 to the mid-1920s.He was an attorney with Moore & Wilson at Suite 2, Jenks Block.