927 Court Street

 

Architecture:

    Style:                        Prairie Four Square Style

    Description:              This is a symmetrical two-story wood frame structure with aluminum siding and a foundation of cut stone.  It has a low pitch pyramidal roof, with a lower front gable enclosed by a pent roof.  The front entry is via a small vestibule on the left.  The door is flanked by narrow leaded windows, with a fan window overhead.  A modern deck extends along most of the front.

 

Significant Period:

    Construction Date:     circa 1909

    Architect/Builder:       Unknown

    Context:                    The floor plan for 927 Court changed radically between the 1903 and 1911 Sanborn Fire Maps, indicating the current dwelling was built at that time.  City Directories suggest 1909 or 1910 as a possible date.  The home at that site was listed as vacant in 1907.  G. John Luz lived there in 1909.  Then Dr. Mason E. Vroman and his wife Birdie J. lived there from 1910 to 1915-16.  He was a physician and surgeon, a specialist in eye, ear, nose, and throat at suite 309-11 in the Meisel Building.  James Dickson and his wife Carrie H. lived there in 1918-19.  He was a manager at International Harvester Company.  The Alex and Flora (Beard) Cowan family lived there for the next twenty years.  Alex was County Treasurer in the early 1920s.  He was a member of the State House of Representatives from 1923 to 1928, and State Senator from 1928 to 1929, and 1930 to 1932.  He was also proprietor of Cowan Agency.  Flora B. Cowan was listed as head of household from 1933 to 1940.