920 Court Street
Description: This is a two-story wood frame structure with cement
shingle siding and a rock face concrete block foundation. Gables are found on the front and both
sides. To the rear there is a one-story
wing. A large two story modern deck has
been built on the northeast side of the house over the main entrance. The structure is noncontributing.
Construction Date: circa 1870
building was there in 1867 according to the “Bird’s Eye View Map” of Port Huron. Thomas Ellison, a plasterer born in Maine, resided there by 1870
with Kittie Ellis and Betsy Wyman. He is known to have paid taxes on the
property in 1873. Alfred L. Peabody paid
property taxes from 1878 to at least 1887, and lived there according to 1881
City Directory. George W. Derby lived
there in 1888. He was listed as a
laborer that year, and as an advertising agent for B.
T. Babbit in 1890.
The Minnie family then lived there for almost twenty years. Joseph P. Minnie was a telegraph operator in
1893-94 and a chief dispatcher for F and P M Railway. Amanda Minnie, widow of Joseph ran the
household from 1901 to 1912. Frank S.
Henson lived there is 1913, and Douglass and Abbie
Hawks in 1915-16. He was manager for the
Hankow Tea Company.
George and Clara Purvis lived there in 1918-19. He was U. S. inspector of boilers. William and Eliza Benaway
lived there in 1920-21. He was a U. S. marine clerk. Charles and Emma Canfield lived there from
1923-24 to the 1930s. He was U. S. veterinary inspector.