916 Court Street

 

Architecture:

    Style:                        Folk House Style         

    Description:              This Folk House is a symmetrical, two story wood frame house with cement shingle siding and a stone face concrete block foundation.  The roofline is front gabled.  Decorative elements include a one story squared bay with a shed roof on the east, and a small off center front porch with boxed posts and wood railing.

 

Significant Period:

    Construction Date:     circa 1870

    Architect/Builder:       Unknown

    Context:                    The family of Charles and Mary Worthington resided on the south side of Court Street between 9th & 10th Street as early as 1870.  He was born in England, she in New York.  Their children were Mary, Albinta, Charles, Lydia, Cora, Alice, and Willie.  His livery was on the north side of Pine, between 6th & Military.  He paid taxes in 1873 on lots 2 and 3; in 1878, A. P. White paid; in 1883, N. P. White paid the taxes.  Tax records show a house stood on one of the lots during this time period, the lots split in 1885, values indicate the house was on this lot.  Henry Cline paid property taxes in 1887, and resided there.  Henry was employed at the restaurant by the Port Huron & Northwestern Railway depot.  Ande Wheeler, a local freight agent, lived there in 1893.  Frederick R. Clench, employed by a saloon, lived there in 1899.  George W. Crellin, a drug clerk at E.P. Tibbals, lived there in 1901.  Henry Cline was back again in 1902 and lived there until 1918.  Dr. John Martinson and his wife Mabel lived there from 1920 to the late 1930s.  He was an eye, ear, nose, and throat specialist.  His office was first at 504 Water Street, then later at 317-318 Sperry Building.