911-913 Court Street

 

Architecture:

††† Style:††††††††††††††††††††††† Colonial Revival Style†††

††† Description:††††††††††††† The current appearance of this building is the result of dramatic addition and alteration in the 1930ís.It is a symmetrical, two-story wood frame structure with a block foundation and aluminum siding.The roofline is primarily side gabled, the gables enclosed by pent roofs.There are two gable dormers on the front.Two wings extend rearward, capped by parallel gables.The double front entry is centered, and there is no porch.A ribbon of four double hung windows with four lights in each half may be one of the few historic elements to survive alterations.

 

Significant Period:

††† Construction Date:†††† circa 1880

††† Architect/Builder:†††††† Unknown

††† Context:††††††††††††††††††† In spite of significant changes, this building appears to date back to the 1880ís.William A. Aikman resided north side of Court, 3 west of 9th in 1883.John Fitzgerald, horse dealer, lived there and paid taxes from 1885-87.John E. Lathrop, a horse trainer, resided there in 1888.Robert Pattinson, whose business was grain, lived there in 1890.The Scott family resided there next from the early 1890s to 1899.George Scott was a carpenter.Son George was a vessel captain and Alfred worked at a barbershop in 902 Military.The home first appears on the 1903 Sanborn Insurance Map, a long narrow building facing the street with a small side porch.By the 1911 Map, an addition appeared on the east side toward the rear, as well as a front porch.This coincided with the arrival of the Dennis and Evelyn Sullivan family, who lived in the home from 1901 to the mid-1920s.Dennis was first noted to be a farmer, but was an attorney in the White Building by 1907.He was also Vice President of the Port Huron Real Estate Board by 1920.Beginning in 1931the building was divided into three apartments.It was about this time that the structure was dramatically altered.The 1940 Sanborn Insurance Map shows the east wing was extended toward the street flush with the west side of the structure.