835 Court Street
Description: This is a two-story wood frame structure with wide wood
clapboard siding and a brick foundation.
It is cross gabled with the front gable dominant, the gable facing 8th Street secondary. A small porch located between the two wings
has an arched opening. An attached
garage on the north has a side gabled roof with a gable dormer. Half wagon wheel windows are located in the
two main gables. Other windows are
primarily double hung, with the upper sash divided into six lights. A ribbon of four windows on the first floor
faces south, while an arched window faces east.
Construction Date: circa 1923
Architect/Builder: George L. Harvey, architect
Court Street lies on the northeast corner of Court and Ninth Streets. It is absent in the 1921 City Directory, and
first appears in the 1923-24 directory.
Prior to that, a small dwelling addressed as 1112 Ninth Street stood on the north side of
the lot. Seeley and Edith Mosher were the first residents and owners; they
lived here until at least 1940. The home
was a wedding gift from her parents, George L. and Emma Harvey, who lived next
door. The Moshers
were jewelers and optometrists at 209 Huron Avenue. Seeley was Chairman of the Merchants
Division, Chamber of Commerce, in 1923-24.
He was second Vice President of the Chamber of Commerce in 1931. The family tradition has been carried to the
present, with Mosher’s Jewelers now located at 336 Huron Avenue.