833 Court Street

 

Architecture:

    Style:                        Gothic Revival Style     

    Description:              This structure is asymmetrical and cross gabled, with two gables to the front and a side gable over an east wing.  Decorative elements include finials and vergeboards in the front gables.  A front porch is supported by Ionic columns with wood railing, and contains dentil in the eaves.  There is evidence that the flat porch roof had decorative railing at one time.  A one-story semi-hexagonal oriel bay window lies on the west side.  The side of the house is covered with stucco, and the foundation is cut stone.  There are several leaded windows outside and inside the home.

 

 

Significant Period:

    Construction Date:     1895

    Architect/Builder:       Unknown

    Context:                    The house was probably built in 1895, as City Water Department records show service was turned on in April that year.  The first record of that address is in the 1899-00 Port Huron City Directory.  George and Emma Harvey were the first residents, living there until at least 1940.  George was an architect, his office first at 201 Huron Avenue, then at 419-420 Federal Bank Building.  He served as Mayor from 1936 to 1939.  He held other offices including Secretary for the Chamber of Commerce and also Secretary of Community Service.  George L. Harvey had the distinction of supervising construction of the Andrew Carnegie funded City Library, now the City Museum, at 1115 6th Street.