832 Court Street
Description: This is a two-story wood frame structure with cement
shingle siding and a contoured concrete block foundation. The steep roofline suggests a possible Gothic
Revival origin. A two-story wing on the
back is rear gabled. Narrow one-story
additions with shed roofs lie on both sides of the house. A wraparound porch was enclosed many years
ago, but part of it was recently opened.
Construction Date: circa 1860’s
house is one of the oldest structures on the south side of the 800 Block. Property taxes were paid by
? Partridge in 1859 on a value of $200 for lots 6 and 7, suggesting
empty lots. It was likely built in the
1860’s. Thomas A. Ellery was born May
in Vermont and moved to Port Huron November 1851. He was known to have lived at this address
from about 1871 to 1878, and to have paid the property taxes. Thomas sailed on the schooners Eugene, Lady Jane, Trader, Star,
Emma, S. L. Noble, and R.J. Gibbs; the scows Baltic and Hannah; and was master
of the brig Preble. He was mate of the
steam barge Mary Mills and captain of the Nelson Mills. He was a practical ship carpenter and vessel
owner. In 1857 he married Amelia Hallinan of Port Huron. Their surviving children were Amelia,
Estella, Herbert, Arthur, and Grace. M.
N. Petit briefly paid the property taxes in 1878. Dennison Smith, a farmer, and his wife and
son Edward lived there from about 1883 to 1885.
Christopher and Susan Sharp lived there from about 1888 to 1912. He was employed as an express messenger and
retired by 1899. Frank E. Sharp, a
dentist and secretary of the Seventh District Dental Society, lived with them
in 1910. By 1912 Susan was a widow. Susan L. Plunkett, a clerk at Sperry’s, lived
there from 1918 to the mid 1920s. Peter
Burns, branch manager of the Manufacturers Life Insurance Company, lived there
in with his wife Mary in 1930. Edward Distelrath, a commercial traveler, and his wife Verna lived
there in 1931. Sperry Card, employed by
the Wallace and Card Company, lived there with his wife Ida until about 1940.