825 Court Street

 

Architecture:

††† Style:††††††††††††††††††††††† QueenAnne/Shingle

††† Description:††††††††††††† It is a asymmetrical, two-story wood frame structure, with wood clapboard siding on the first story, wood shingle above, and a cut stone foundation.The roof is cross-gabled, with the side gables dominant.Both sides have ribbon windows and the west is cantilevered.On the front is a minor hipped gable and two gable dormers.There are three two-story bays, the east curved, the west and south semi-hexagonal.Decorative elements include large brackets in the eaves and a full frontal porch with turned posts and spindles.There are several unique windows, including art glass, leaded, beveled, and two porthole windows surrounded by decorative shingles above the off-center main entry.

 

Significant Period:

††† Construction Date:†††† 1896

††† Architect/Builder:†††††† Unknown

††† Context:††††††††††††††††††† E. Cash paid the taxes in 1877 until 1883 on the original structure, when John E./Flora Miller became the owner.Joseph L. and Percy S. Stevenson lived there in the early 1890ís.Joseph was secretary at Anderson & Co., then Manager of the J.L.Stevenson Carriage Company.†† In 1895 J. E. Miller paid taxes on this lot with a value of $1000, then there was a handwritten correction of Philo Truesdell.That house was replaced in 1896 by the present home as the tax records show the lot lines shifted and the value increased from $750 to $2600.Philo and wife Helen M. moved the family, Nina, Walter, and Mary, from 831Court next door.Philo, a native of Indiana, grew up in Canada and New York.He came to Howell, Michigan where he worked with the hardware and agricultural implement business for eight years.In 1877 he came to Port Huron.Philo was the proprietor of Port Huron Marble and Granite Works, at 401, 403, 405 Butler Street, dealer in marble, granite, slate walks, fireplace mantels, tiles, and grates, and cut building stone; though out southeastern Michigan.He specialized in tombstones and park monuments and employed as many as 20 men.He was V-Pres. of the R.C. Mudge Paper Clothing Company, stockholder in Port Huron Engine and Thresher, a Mason, a supreme officer of the Modern Woodmen of the World, Lieut. Comm. of the Maccabees, member Congregational Church, Chamber of Commerce, and the Port Huron Club.Philo died Sept. 28, 1900; Helen M. died May 10, 1906.The Ladies Aid Society of Grace Episcopal Church bought the home February 17, 1908 for use as their rectory for the next 50 years, with the Rev. John Munday, then Rev. Austin DuPlan as residents.In the early 1960ís, Alfred R. and Muriel J. Maxwell bought the home.She was principal of St. Joseph Catholic School.Julie Wilson, founder of the Olde Town neighborhood association, lived there in the 1980ís.