816 Court Street

 

Architecture:

††† Style:††††††††††††††††††††††† Queen Anne Style††††††††

††† Description:††††††††††††† This is a two-story wood frame structure with wood clapboard siding, wood shingles and detailing in the gables, and a cut stone foundation.The patterned roof is cross-gabled.Facing the street is a gable-on-hip and a lower front gable framed by short returns with brackets.Both gables exhibit elaborate vergeboard and finials.The two side gables have detailed triangles in the peak that extend slightly outward from the building.All gables contain Palladian windows.There is a large front wraparound porch with ionic columns.To the rear is a porch with turned wood posts and a newly built square tower.A two-story semi-hexagonal bay is on the east.Other decorative elements include two stained glass windows and chimney pots on the roof.

 

Significant Period:

††† Construction Date:†††† before 1873

†† Architect/Builder:†††††† Unknown

††† Context:††††††††††††††††††† Daniel J. Guerin paid taxes on property valued at $600 in 1873, and lived there to at least 1894.Born November 26, 1843, he came to Michigan in 1854 from Tompkins County, New York with his parents.He lived and worked in Algonac, then St. Clair where he married Isabella Smith August 19, 1867 at the home of Larued Smith, her father.Soon after they moved to Port Huron.Their children were Arthur Smith Guerin (a stenographer) and Abner Claude Guerin (a bookkeeper).When Danielís mercantile business burnt in 1870, he rebuilt.His boot and shoe business in the early 1870ís was located on Huron Avenue between Butler and River.It was sold in 1874.He then opened a livery business, Livery and Hack Emporium at Quay and Michigan, then at River, then at 946 6th Street.His large stock included fine open and closed carriages, buggies, and horses.Daniel Guerin also served as Alderman.Several others lived in the home.George M. Granger (from Ohio), whose insurance business was in the Meisel block, lived at the home in 1900 with wife Sarrah J. (from Vermont), daughter Olive Grace and granddaughter Ruth Wells.Amanda Geel, widow of Burton, lived there with daughters Agnes and Ella from 1901 to 1904.Dr. Eldon E. Lewis occupied the home in 1906.The home was remodeled about 1907.Sanborn Insurance Maps show slightly different outlines between 1903 and 1911.City records show water service was turned on in 1907.Inspection of the attic reveals evidence of a previous roofline.Samuel E. Wilson, a contractor and builder, was later involved in the insurance business.He and his wife Lois resided there at least by 1909.They raised a cousin Ethel B. Beal as their daughter.She married Ralph Haradon in the home and her children Myron and Madeline were born there.†† Samuel died in 1935, Lois in 1939.Their funerals took place at their home.