809-815 (originally 811, 813) Court Street

 

Architecture:

††† Style:†††††††††††††††††††††††

††† Description:††††††††††††† This turn of the century house was built as a duplex and retains its original shape.It is a two-story wood frame structure with vinyl siding and a brick foundation.The roofline on the front is short and steeply angled forward with a centered front gable.The roof behind slopes back at a low angle.Two story semi-hexagonal bays flank the central entry.A highly decorative full width front porch and false second story porch were removed in modern times, yet recently rebuilt sympathetic to the original historic character.

 

Significant Period:

††† Construction Date:†††† circa 1892

††† Architect/Builder:†††††† Unknown

††† Context:††††††††††††††††††† 811 Court: The first resident was William J. Worden, traveling salesman, in 1893.Frank T. Wolcott paid the property taxes in 1895, on the value of $2100; he resided there, with Mina Lora as the domestic.He was an attorney with Atkinson & Wolcott, and served one term as Probate Judge in 1896.Samuel W. Vance and wife Carrie E. lived there by 1899.He was elected circuit judge in 1893 and re elected in 1899, with offices at the Court House.He died April 3, 1900; Carrie continued to live there through 1913.In 1910 Harold S. Vance, clerk at E. M. F. Company, boarded.In 1912 Charles W. and Sarah E. Sines boarded with the Vances.Charles was a clerk for the police court.Clinton J. and Caroline M. Rathfon lived there from 1915 to the mid-1920s.He was president and manager of the Rathfon, Scent, and Company.They were listed as lumber manufacturers at 1002 Military.He was also on the City Commission of finance in the early 1920ís.

††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††† 813 Court: The first know resident is George W. and Emma M. Jenkinson.They lived there from about 1893 to 1921.In the early years their domestic was Ida Kemp.George Jenkinson was first listed as a coal dealer with an office at 624 Water Street.By 1899 he was manager of the St. Clair River Coal and Ice Company.From 1901 to 1907 he was president of the Consolidated Ice Company, and later, the Purity Ice Company.

††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††† Numerous residents lived in both units over time; there are now four units.