808 Court Street



    Style:                        Colonial Revival Style   

    Description:              This is a one and a half story wood frame structure with wood clapboard siding on the first floor, wood shingles on the second story, and a cut stone foundation.  The roofline is primarily front gabled, with a flat roofed two story wing on the east side.  On the west is a two story semi-hexagonal bay with a hipped roof.  A small front porch has a front gabled roofline, and turned wood posts and spindles.  Decorative elements include garland and surrounding detailing in the front gable, porch gable, and above the main front window.  There are also brackets in the front gable and around the eaves of the house.  This structure is the finest example of half a dozen similar homes within the city.


Significant Period:

    Construction Date:     1900

    Architect/Builder:       Unknown

    Context:                    City Water Department records indicate service was turned on in January 1901.  Dr. Ransom E. Moss first lived there until 1904.  Harry and Edith Wright lived in the home by 1906, with their two children Asa and Howard.  Harry was the president of Wright, Hoyt, and company, while Asa worked at 613 Water Street in the carriage, wagon manufacturing, and blacksmith business.  John and Ida Deringer lived in the home in 1912.  He was secretary treasurer for the Acheson Oildag Company.  Harry and Bertha Shiland were there 1913 to at least 1923.  Harry’s profession is unknown, though in 1923-24 he was vice president of Boy Scouts of America.  Glen and Gertrude Vining lived in the home in 1930, and William and Dorothy MacDonald in 1931.  Louis and Netta Bergsman lived there from 1933-34 to at least 1940.  He was assistant manager for the Metropolitan Life Insurance Company.