804 Court Street

 

Architecture:

    Style:                        Queen Anne

    Description:              This asymmetrical house, built before the turn of the century, is a two-story wood frame structure with cement shingle siding and a brick foundation.  The cross gabled hipped roofline is flat on top, suggesting it held cresting at one time.  The front gable is dominant, with a lower side gable facing 8th Street.  A two-story squared bay lies under the side gable.  A small front porch noted on historic maps has disappeared, replaced by a full width front porch with brick columns and wood railing.  There is a rear addition.

 

Significant Period:

    Construction Date:     circa 1882

    Architect/Builder:       Unknown

    Context:                    The history of this house is largely a history of the Carroll and Martha Fraser family.  Ownership of this property changed from J. S. Hoyt to the Frasers between 1878 to 1883.  At the same time, the value of this property increased at a rate significantly higher than surrounding properties, indicating new construction.  The Frasers are first documented living here in the 1883 City Directory.  They had two children, Edna and Francis, and Carroll’s mother, Elizabeth, lived with them until 1888.  Carroll was a partner in Fraser & Fish, which dealt primarily in real estate and insurance.  In 1883 they located over the First National Banker.  Prior to living on Court Street, Carroll was the first Superintendent of all the consolidated Port Huron Schools from 1867 to 1870.  He died by 1918, and Martha lived on at the home into the 1920’s.  The dwelling was divided into four apartments by 1930.