740 Court Street
Style: Folk House – Gable Front Style
Description: This is an asymmetrical two story wood frame building with a block foundation and vinyl siding. Decorative elements include a curved wraparound porch with Doric columns on brick pillars and wood railing, and a one story semi-hexagonal bay on the east side. A single story wing on the rear extends west of the main structure, providing a small side porch.
Construction Date: circa 1870
taxes were paid by S. A. Jones (resided elsewhere) throughout the 1870’s and
1880’s. The first documented resident
was John Manwarring in 1873. His business was wallpaper, blank books, and
E. Jones (son of S.A. Jones) a bookkeeper, and Thomas Jones a laborer, lived
there in 1877. James or John Johnson,
oil speculator, lived there from 1883 to 1887.
Wesley W. Phelps, city engineer, resided in 1888. Myron E. Wright, a traveling salesman, lived
there in 1890. The Fillmore M. Taylor
family was there from 1893 to 1900. He
was a dealer in shelf and heavy hardware, stoves and tin ware at