734 Court Street
Style: Folk House
Description: This is an asymmetrical, two story wood frame building with cement shingle siding, and a block foundation. The roof is cross gabled, the front gable dominant, the side gable over a short wing. Decorative elements include a half hexagonal bay on the east, and a full front porch with boxed columns on brick pillars, and wood railing on and above the porch.
Construction Date: circa 1886
and 740 Court have a common history, as S. A. Jones (resided elsewhere) paid
the property taxes for both lots in the 1870’s and 1880’s. Neighboring 728 was listed in the 1885 City
Directory as being the second house east of Eighth Street, in 1887 it was the
third house east of Eighth Street; indicating 734 was built between those
years. The first documented resident was
George W. Nelles, a freight agent for C & CT
Railway, who lived there from 1887 to 1890.
The family of Agnes McFadzean, widow of John,
lived there from 1893 to 1904. A series
of residents followed. Edward Beamer
lived there in 1906 and Thomas Hall in 1909.
William and Marion Sutherland lived there for ten years, from 1910 to
1920. He was proprietor of the Tawas
Beach Hotel. Dr. John F. Martinson, and wife Mable V. lived
there 1918-1919. William Fusee, employed by C H Wills Company, lived there with his
wife Fannie in 1921. Ralph and Ethel Haradon lived there in 1930. Frank and Doris Hazzard
lived there in the early 1930’s. They
were proprietors of Hazard Beauty Shop at 934 Court Street, then