733 Chestnut Street

 

Architecture:

††† Style:††††††††††††††††††††††† Folk House††††††

††† Description:††††††††††††† This is a one and a half story wood frame structure with aluminum siding and cut stone foundation.The roof has a low pitch.A small rear wing has a side entry on the east side.The full width front porch has modern wrought iron supports and railing.The front door is off center left, with an overhead transom.The main decorative element is a large window to the right of the door, which has a transom surrounded by smaller colored panes of glass.

 

 

Significant Period:

††† Construction Date:†††† 1850ís or 1880ís

††† Architect/Builder:†††††† Unknown

††† Context:††††††††††††††††††† A house was on this lot in the Geil and Siverd Map of 1859.The 1903 Sanborn Insurance Map shows the same outline as todayís structure. The first documented residents were the Stone family from 1885 until 1888.Mrs. Hannah Stone lived with James R. Stone, a traveling agent for Rush & Sons, and Miss Mary E. Stone, a dressmaker.†† Charles Magee, an employee of J. A. Davidson & Company, lived there in 1893.The history of this house is primarily that of the Gibson family, who lived there from about 1899 to at least 1940.William was a member of Richardson, Gibson, and Company who specialized in plumbing, gas, and steam heating at 1104 Military Street.William died by 1915 and his wife Elizabeth about 1939.Their son Edward, also a plumber, and his sister Grace, a clerk, continued to live in the home thereafter.