Style: Folk House
Description: This turn of the century house is a two-story wood frame building with cement shingle siding, wood shingles in the gables, a cut stone foundation in the front, and a contoured concrete block foundation in the back. A rear addition made years ago doubled the size of the house. The roof is primarily front-gabled, and the original structure has a lower cross gable to the east. The rear addition extends slightly west of the main structure. This transition is accompanied by a cutaway bay, and a small wall dormer where the roofline sweeps lower. A full width front porch that once existed has been replaced by a small entry. A small side porch with original wood columns lies on the west, and two small entries on the east. There is a ribbon of small windows over three adjoining front windows.
Construction Date: circa 1880’s
first documented resident was Daniel Miller, a millwright, listed in the 1888
and 1890 City Directories. However, a
history of this house is primarily a history of the Abernethy family, who lived
there from 1890 until the 1940’s. Thomas
Abernethy, born in