1303 8th Street

 

Architecture:

    Style:                        Queen Anne

    Description:              This is an asymmetrical, two-story wood frame structure with cement siding and a rock face concrete foundation.  The roofline is cross-gabled, with the front gable dominant.  The peak, which contains a tall narrow window rounded at the top, extends slightly outward over dentil and decorative brackets.  Between the first and second floors a pent roof flares out slightly over simple brackets.  The porch, off center to the right, has a low pitch front gabled roofline and decorative scrollwork in the peak.  On both north and south sides of the house are located cross gables, enclosed by a pent roof over simple brackets, and half circle windows in the peaks.  A hexagonal tower faces the intersection of Eighth and Union streets, under which is a cutaway bay on the first story.  A small, attached garage is on the northwest side.

 

Significant Period:

    Construction Date:     1901

    Architect/Builder:       Unknown

    Context:                    The structure seen on the 1894 Birds Eye Map is not the same structure that appears on the 1903 and 1911 Sanborn Insurance Maps.  City Water Department records indicate water service was turned on 6/25/1901.  The address is first listed in the 1902 City Directory.  Gustav Hill, Assistant Cashier for the First National Exchange Bank, and his wife Jeanette lived there until 1906.  William and Mollie Hanson, and Phillip and Ida Rubenstein, lived there in 1907.  William and and Phillip worked for the Gutter Furniture Company.  Captain John Clow and his wife Emma lived there in 1909-1910.  James Meno, a marine engineer, and Lucy his wife lived there about twenty-five years, from 1913 until 1937.