Description: This is a two-story wood frame structure with wide
aluminum siding, both horizontal and vertical, and a cut stone foundation. The roofline is front gabled. A narrow vertical window is located in this
gable. The porch has modern metal
supports and railing. On the south side
is a one story semi-hexagonal bay on a brick foundation.
Construction Date: by 1860’s
Context: Bethuel Clinton Farrand paid
property taxes 1864, and lived here until at least 1873. June 2, 1874 was the water service turn on date.
B.C. Farrand was born December 13,
1820 in Auburn,
N.Y. The family
came to Detroit in spring of 1825, then Ann Arbor in the fall where there were only ten or twelve
families. His father Bethuel
was the first Judge of Probate for Washtenaw County. His siblings
were Jacob S., Dr. D.O., and James B. Farrand of Detroit. His twin
sister was the widow of ex-governor Parsons of Michigan. B.C. began to study law in 1839 in Detroit in the office of Morey & Taylor, then with Jay
& Potter. Admitted to the bar in
1843, he located to Palmer the county seat, later St. Clair. A year later, the partnership of Bethuel C. Farrand & Lorenzo
M. Mason formed in Port
Huron. Lorenzo went to Detroit six years later and Bethuel
engaged in lumbering. B.C’s family lived in a two story home on the Fort Gratiot
Reserve in 1848. The Samuel Edison
family later lived there. In 1851 B.C.
bought as much as 33,000 acres of timber in Burtchville
and Grant Townships. He built a
steam mill at Lakeport, a village he laid out and platted. One of the largest mills in the county, it
was “supplied by logs brought in on a logging railroad, one of the earliest
constructions of that kind in the country.” He had losses and after the panic
of 1857, dismantled the mill. He resumed
law in 1857, and held the office of prosecuting attorney for two terms, was
city clerk, and secretary of the village of Port Huron. He married Laura W. Whitman in
1845. She died in 1852. He married Helen M. Wheaton of New Haven, Conn. in 1854. She
was the principal of a young ladies school in Detroit for some years.
She originated the idea of forming the Port Huron Ladies’ Library
Association. His children were Caroline
Laura, Emma Mary, Sarah, Nellie N., Fannie C., Bethuel
Clinton, jr. and Helen M. In 1881, Elliot
Stephenson lived there. Anthony Flynn, a
clerk at Barrett and Goulding, resided about 1888 to
1893. John Cronan,
manager of Cronan and Company, insurance and real
estate, lived there about 1899 to 1901.
Daniel Reilly, superintendent for Aikman Bakery,
resided there in 1904. Mrs. Lauretta Begg lived there from
1906 to 1907. Thomas J. Myron, of the
customs office, lived there with his wife Carrie in 1909 to 1910. Leonard Cummings, factory salesman for the
Port Huron Engine and Thresher Company, lived there with his wife from 1913 to
1918. Samuel and Amelia Moskowitz lived there in 1920. Albert and Amaretta
Sperry lived there from 1921 to 1933.
Samuel Shewitz lived there in 1936 and William MacDonald in 1938.