1225 8th Street

 

Architecture:

    Style:                        Folk House

    Description:              This is a symmetrical, one and a half story wood frame structure, with wood clapboard siding and a rock face concrete foundation.  The roofline is hipped.  Facing the street is a wall dormer with a shed roof.  The original hipped roof of the porch is supported by modern metal supports, and the base no longer exists.  Simple brackets adorn the eaves of the main roof and porch.

 

Significant Period:

    Construction Date:     1915

    Architect/Builder:       Unknown

    Context:                    This structure does not appear on the 1911 Sanborn Insurance Map.  This address is first listed in the 1915 City Directory.  City Water Department records indicate water service was turned on 3/15/1915.  The Charles and Lila Kean family were the first residents, living there until at least 1940.  Charles was secretary for the Port Huron Loan and Building Association, secretary for the Masonic Club and Temple, and secretary for the Pine Grove Lodge No. 11.