1304 7th Street

 

Architecture:

††† Style:††††††††††††††††††††††† Second Empire

††† Description:††††††††††††† This asymmetrical house is a two-story brick structure with a cut stone foundation.The Mansard roof line is straight, with dormers located on all sides of the building.A square tower faces west, with paired brackets in the eaves but without a cupola.The two door front entry is below.The windows on the main structure, some single and some paired, are tall and narrow.Both first and second story windows have elaborate decorative hoods.There is a large semi-hexagonal bay on the north side of the building.A front porch facing west and a side porch on the north no longer exists.This structure contributes to the historic character of the neighborhood.

 

 

Significant Period:

††† Construction Date:†††† late 1877-81

††† Architect/Builder:†††††† Unknown

††† Context:††††††††††††††††††† Robert S. Philbrick lived here throughout the 1880ís into the early 1890ís.His obituary in the Port Huron Daily Times, dated Jan. 26, 1895, stated that he built this house.It is clearly seen in the 1894 Birds Eye View of Port Huron.Robert was born in Onondaga County, New York and spent his youth there.In 1849 he took an overland trip to California, staying a number of years.He bought a farm in Riley Township in 1863, and until 1874 ran a hotel business at Memphis, Ridgeway, Capac, and Lapeer.At that time he became the proprietor of the Thompson House, located on the west side of Military Street near Pine.While the Custom House was constructed, most of the workmen boarded here.Robert S. Philbrick died January, 1895.The Frank S. Philbrick family lived there from 1901 to the mid-1920ís.Frankís wife was Belle F., the widow of F.C. Parsons.Frank held many jobs throughout the years including bookkeeper for 1st National Exchange Bank, secretary for Jenks, Taylor & Co., treasurer of the Ruledge Playing Card Co., secretary for Michigan Farm Products Co., then employed by the Foundation Co.The Anson and Lillian Welch family lived there in the early 1930ís.He was first a painter, then a photographer.The William and Diantha Harvey family lived there in the late 1930ís.He was a music teacher and organist for the First Congregational Church.