1205 7th Street

 

Architecture:

††† Style:††††††††††††††††††††††† Gothic Revival

††† Description:††††††††††††† This is a two-story wood frame house with wood clapboard siding and a cut stone foundation.The steep pyramidal roof has lower cross gables in three directions, and a rear gabled rear addition.On the north side is a two-story semi-hexagonal bay.On the east is a one story semi-hexagonal bay.Decorative elements include vergeboard in the gables, a two-story cutaway bay on the northeast corner with a turned post on the second story, and ornamental woodwork on the southeast corner and over the main entryway.A large wraparound porch no longer exists.This house sits on a prominent corner lot with original iron fencing and a mature Ginko tree.New owners have begun to restore this once elegant home.

 

Significant Period:

††† Construction Date:†††† 1850ís ?

††† Architect/Builder:†††††† Unknown

††† Context:††††††††††††††††††† In 1859, R. Mapstone paid taxes on property valued at $500.By 1873, S. L. Balentine paid taxes on the value of $800.Residents from at least 1871 to 1880 were Silas L. Balentine and wife Caroline Laura Farrand, daughter of lawyer Bethuel Clinton Farrand.Their children were Emma McAllen, Caroline Whitman, Katharine Forrest, and Edward Farrand.Silas was born November 3, 1845 in St. Andrews, New Brunswick.His family left Calais, Maine for Old Brockway, Michigan when he was twelve; he attended high school in Almont.In 1860 he clerked for Wallace & Gibson which later became Charles P. Noyes & Co.In 1867, Silas and brother David bought and renamed it, S. L. & D. Balentine, a Dry Goods business.He married Caroline on November 7, 1868. In 1870 Silasí personal estate value was $3000.David died in 1874.Silas brought in his nephew, Albert R. Balentine, in 1881.Silas was a stockholder and director in the Commercial National Bank and an incorporator and one of the directors of the Narrow Gauge Railroad.In 1901 he served as State Representative.John C. Johnstone resided by 1883 through 1902.He was a bookkeeper for Carleton, Stewart, and Company, then secretary treasurer for Grand Trunk Elevator Company, also secretary treasurer for Johnstone and Menish. Frederick and Charlotte Sherman resided from 1904 to 1909.He was secretary treasurer for the Port Huron Times and treasurer of Riverside Printing company.Dagny Holth, widow of Christian, lived there with several children in 1915.William and Rachel Barkell resided in 1918.He was proprietor of Barkell Auto Company located at 1121 Military.William Wynne, retired, lived there in 1920.Dr. Alex MacKenzie and his wife Anna then followed, from 1923 to 1938.He was a physician and surgeon at suite 504 in the Meisel building, then 504-5-6 US Bank Building.The home was divided into four apartments by 1940.