1228 6th Street

 

Architecture:

††† Style:††††††††††††††††††††††† Prairie

††† Description:††††††††††††† This large symmetrical building has stucco wall cladding and a stucco coated brick foundation.The roofline is flat with simple flat parapet sides.Approximately five feet below the top of the parapet is a flat overhang, about one foot wide, which surrounds the building.Below this are simple brackets, applied sparingly in four pairs per side.The central portion of the front facade extends slightly outward.The center of this is inset, creating two plain pilasters.The doorway is flanked by two Doric columns, over which is a false porch railing.The windows are divided into simple geometric patterns

 

Significant Period:

††† Construction Date:†††† 1919

††† Architect/Builder:†††††† Unknown

††† Context:††††††††††††††††††† The Christian Scientists in Port Huron date back to 1899, when three people started meeting at a private home on Pine Street.The First Church of Christ Scientist was organized on November 22, 1902.Services were first held in various locations including Bukeridge Hall on Sixth Street in 1903, Society Hall on Water Street from 1904 to 1912, and the Masoic Temple from 1913 to 1919.The congregation built itís first church at 1228 6th Street in 1919.In 1948 the house next door at 1220 6th Street was acquired and used for Sunday School.In 1972 a new church was constructed on Gratiot Avenue.The church at 1228 6th Street was then sold and renamed the Heritage Building.